1stwebdesigner is turning 6! And we couldn’t have done it without you. So, we are giving away 20 of our Flat Web Design Course with a total value of almost $2000 to our loyal readers! Over the years, our core focus has changed from simply publishing tips and tutorials to creating courses for freelance web designers and developers. Right now, we want to share them with you.
Do you want to help change the face of education?
Read our story and be inspired (and of course, get the chance to win 1 of the 20 prizes!).
A Brief History of 1WD
1stwebdesigner (1WD) was founded on August 30, 2008, by Dainis Graveris, then 19 years old and enrolled in design school. His love for design and learning led him to find a way to share the things he knew, and so he started 1stwebdesigner.com.
1WD started with mainly list articles featuring tools, tutorials, and themes gathered around the Internet. In just a couple of weeks since its inception, 1WD’s traffic grew from zero to almost a thousand visitors daily. As the traffic grew to the hundreds of thousands per month, Dainis opened 1WD to contributors.
To date, 1WD has had 190 contributors. Half of which were active contributors from 2009 to 2011.
These contributors made 1WD what it is today. They shared the same passion by which this blog was founded in and helped shape what 1stwebdesigner is now today, along with our loyal readers.
Since 2008, 1WD:
- Received almost 150 million pageviews
- Published 1722 articles and tutorials
- Received over 33,000 comments
- Worked with 190 contributors
- Gathered over 200,000 social media followers
At the dawn of 2011, 1WD had over 20 active contributors from all around the planet. It was a bustling community, with several comments thrown at each article; discussion was always present.
The numbers look great, but over the years we’ve had our share of problems too.
- Hundreds of hours of downtime because of bad hosting service.
- We’ve been a target of comment spam attack and DDOS.
- We lost traffic from almost 3 million monthly down to just 2 million.
- 1WD was hacked and spam advertisements started to appear on the site.
- And just recently, May 19, 2014, we lost 40% of our traffic because of the latest Google Panda update.
But we are striving to be better! And it would be lovely if YOU could tell US how 1stwebdesigner can improve. We value your input; we’d love to see them in the comments below!
Of course, we also need to talk about our little victories over the years.
2013 was the culmination of 1WD’s team’s passion. For the first time in years of collaborating online, the team finally met each other in person.
- Began publishing video tutorials
- Published a full-length web design course
- Published three ebooks
- Weekly free webinars
- Established 1stwebdesigner headquarters in Iloilo City, Philippines
- Expanded from 5 full-time employees to 20
Photo quality aside, here are 14 of 1WD’s awesome team during the first 1WD Team Building in Iloilo, Philippines. Learn more about the team on our About Us!
On August 30, 2014, we will be celebrating our 6th year with you. This is BIG for us because we are moving forward with full force!
Our plans include:
- Revolutionize the face of Online Education
- Teach people web design and development
- Conduct webinars and seminars
- Help freelancers earn more money
Those are just a sneak preview of what is to come.We want you to be there to witness and take part in it!
This is not possible without you, of course. We know that you’ve been waiting for it, so we will no longer delay it!
We will select the winners by August 31. Be sure to get as many entries as you can by August 30!
a Rafflecopter giveaway