How many times do you think I have heard people say, “I’m a web designer” or even “I’m an expert web designer”?
How many times?
I can tell you – too many times. I’m sick of hearing people say “I’m a web designer.”
And you know why? Because it says absolutely nothing about you. Do you really think being one of millions of other “web designers” is something to be proud of?
No! It isn’t something to be proud of at all.
And today I will tell you exactly why.
Do you want to be known for something? Or do you prefer to be nothing to anyone?
Think about it my dear friend!
”If you try to be everything to everyone, you’ll wind up being nothing to anyone.” ~ Author Unknown
Know It All And You Lose It All
Three Steps To Choose Your Niche:
1. What Are You Interested In?
What’s your best skill? What do people tell you, you’re good at?
- Is it politics? Build websites for governments!
- Is it painting? Build websites for art studios!
- Is it photography? Build websites for photographers!
- Is it cats? Build websites for catteries!
You got the point – whatever your interest is will be the niche you will be able to stick to.
2. Can You Pay The Bills?
Research whether your chosen interest can be profitable enough to pay your bills.
- It can be a budget field where you charge less per client, but have more clients!
- Or on the other hand it can be a premium field where you can survive having 5 clients!
You can love your niche, but walking around starved will not get you anywhere.
3. Can You Start Right Now?
Just because you have picked a niche and it is profitable does not mean it will be easily accessible.
- Consider your niche’s competition. Is it easy to break through it?
- Are people in your niche willing to pay for your services?
- Can you start tomorrow? Or you need more resources, like extra funding, knowledge, etc?
Whatever it is you still need, nothing can stop you except yourself. Go and become an expert web designer in your niche!