Are you looking for new ways to increase traffic to your website? Have you ever considered creating a Squidoo Lens to help drive more traffic to your site? Squidoo is a really cool tool that’s been around for years, but it’s never really taken off, so a lot of folks have never heard of it.
That said, because it has built-in SEO tools, it’s an amazing tool for search engine optimization and for driving traffic to your website. In other words, it’s a great “top end of the funnel” tool for your website. In this article, we will explain what Squidoo is, the benefits of using it, how to build a Squidoo lens, the different types of Squidoo lenses out there, and finally how you can use it to increase your site’s traffic. If you’re ready, let’s dig in!
What is Squidoo?
Squidoo is a free online tool, and brainchild of the incredibly talented Seth Godin, which allows ANYONE to create a web page or “Lens” on any topic in which they would consider themselves an expert. According to Seth Godin, perhaps the greatest marketer of our time, everyone is an expert in something. Use Squidoo’s templated platform to create a Lens on any topic you’d like. Create as many Lenses as want. Once you build your Lens you can publish it to the web. You get to pick the URL. For example: Squidoo.com/Your-Lens-Name.
Benefits of Using Squidoo
Squidoo is a great tool that for some reason has just never gone mainstream. There are millions of Squidoo Lenses out there, many of which can be found at the top of Google searches for their given topic. Here are some benefits of building a Squidoo Lens:
- It’s FREE
- You can make money through affiliate links and banner ads on Squidoo. You can choose to have your revenue transferred to your bank account or you can donate it to a charity.
- You don’t need to know how to build a website, but you can still build yourself a Squidoo Lens. That said, website owners can build a Squidoo Lens, or a few Squidoo Lenses, to use as a funnel for driving quality traffic to your website.
- SEO tools are built-in and easy to use, which allows you to rank higher on search engines for your topic
- Building a Lens doesn’t take a lot of time. You can have a quality Squidoo Lens up in a few hours!
These are just a few of the many benefits of taking the time to build a Squidoo Lens.
How to Build a Squidoo Lens
Building a Squidoo Lens is easy. Follow the steps below and you can have your very own Squidoo Lens published to the world in just a few hours.
- Create an account on Squidoo
- Create a Lens
- What’s your lens going to be about? Set a topic for your Lens. *HINT: Make sure it has something to do with your website topic so that you can use it to drive relevant traffic to your website.
- Create a Title for your Lens and set a URL. Be sure to include your keywords in both.
- Tag your page so people can find it! Set keywords for your Squidoo Lens.
- Determine if you want to earn money from your Squidoo Lens
- Start building your Squidoo Lens. Add modules (building blocks) to your Lens. There are modules for everything you can think of. A few examples are:
- Text box – Add copy, images, and hyperlinks to create the main text areas of your Lens. This module is great for providing copy/information about your topic to your Lens readers.
- Link List – Add a list of links to other supporting website that your readers might be interested in.
- Guest Book – Allow your Lens readers to leave comments on your lens.
- RSS Feed – Add your blog feed to your lens
- Poll – Survey your readers
- Video – Add videos to your lens! This module supports Revver, Vimeo, Howcast and YouTube.
- Add Tags to your Lens. Tags are like keywords. Add all of the relevant words and phrases that you think people will be using to search your topic.
- Save your Lens as a Draft and Preview it. Make any changes so that it looks just right. Be sure you have links throughout your lens to your website.
- Publish your Squidoo Lens.
It’s really that easy. If you found this article then you’re web savvy enough to create a great Squidoo Lens and use it to drive quality traffic to your website.
Different Types of Squidoo Lenses
There are almost too many types of Squidoo Lenses to name. Here are some of the top ways to use Squidoo or different types of Squidoo Lenses:
- Informative/Educational Lens – This is a lens that someone with a passion for a given topic creates as a way of helping others learn more about that topic.
- Money Maker – These types of lenses come in many shapes and forms, but at the end of the day, it’s a Lens that’s trying to sell you something or get you to click on their affiliate links/banner ads and make a purchase so that the Lens owner can make a commission.
- Charity Lenses – Charity Lenses are exactly what they sound like. A charity creates a Lens to build awareness for their cause, promote an event, etc.
- Event Lenses – Do you host a recurring event? Why not create a lens to you can post pictures to, generate buzz for the event with, promote it each year by updating the lens, etc.? Many people take advantage of Squidoo to promote events.
- Lead Generation – Squidoo Lenses are GREAT for lead generation. The in-built SEO allows Lenses to rank high on search engines. This usually helps you take traffic away from some of the top sites on your topic, have them land on your lens, qualify them, and then funnel them through to your website.
- Sports Lenses – People love sports, both professional and youth sports. Squidoo Lenses are great for promoting a sport, sports team, local sports leagues, etc.
And the list goes on and on. For those who know about Squidoo, Lenses are the answer to a lot of questions.
Example Squidoo Lenses
Would you like to see a few Squidoo Lenses that are using Squidoo as a tool for funneling traffic to their website? Here are a few Squidoo Lenses currently being used to funnel web traffic to other websites:
- Using iPad in My Store for Marketing to My Customers
- Vinart Dealerships Offer Mobile Coupons to Lehigh Valley, PA Customers
How to Use Squidoo to Increase Website Traffic
Hopefully by now you’re pretty psyched about building a Squidoo Lens to use for funneling quality traffic to your website. So, how exactly do you do that? Well, it’s pretty simple actually. Almost all of the modules allow you to either insert copy, which you can then use to link to your website using HTML code, or upload an image, which you can also link to your website. I recommend that you link to your website in the first module, which is text-based module that everyone uses as their first module. It’s a module for explaining what your Lens is all about.
You can also use the RSS feed module to feed your blog articles into your Lens. You can use the Video module to embed your YouTube videos into your Lens. You can link to your Facebook and Twitter profiles. You’re limited only by your creativity. The important thing is that you build a Lens around a topic similar to your website, you optimize it with keywords related to that topic, make it valuable for your readers, and then hook it up to your website so that you can transfer traffic from search engines like Google and Bing, to your Squidoo Lens, and then onto your Website.
Ryan Taft is a twenty-something entrepreneur with a passion for helping small businesses use online marketing tools to reach more customers and prospects, build relationships with those folks, and ultimately grow sales.